EMF is short for electromagnetic fields or sometimes known as electromagnetic
radiation (EMR) or electromagnetic energy (EME). Electromagnetic fields are present everywhere in our environment – the earth, sun and ionosphere are all natural sources of EMF. Electric and magnetic fields are part of the spectrum of electromagnetic energy
which extends from static electric and magnetic fields, mains power frequencies
(50/60Hz) through radiofrequency, infrared, and visible light to X-rays.
Electromagnetic Spectrum - This diagram shows the electromagnetic spectrum, ionising and non-ionising
sections, and typical sources of electromagnetic fields.
Electromagnetic fields are also created whenever an electrical appliance is
connected to the mains supply, including many in daily use such as
refrigerators, hairdryers and computers.
Many electrical appliances don’t just create EM fields – they rely on them to work. Television and radio, mobile and cordless phones,
remote control handsets, baby monitors and the communication systems used by
emergency services all communicate using Radio Frequency EM fields. So do
wireless technologies such as WiFi, which is increasingly used by computer
networks, to connect to the internet.
Electricity has become an indispensible part of modern day life. It has made our
lives easier. But, is electricity also making our lives shorter? As we consider
the many aspects of our health, Electromagnetic Fields (EMF's) produced by the
electrical and electronic appliances in our homes and in the workplace, may not
be the first thing we consider when making lifestyle and health changes. Once
you have a basic understanding of the most fundamental principles of health, is
it important to know how safe or unsafe EMFs really are to our health?
In 2008 I became very ill, from what turned out to be prolonged exposure over
time, to emf radiation from the electronic devices that surround me at work and
in my vehicle. I experienced a variety of very unusual and somewhat bizarre
symptoms that affected every cell and organ in my body and could not be
diagnosed by medical testing. Medical doctors could not have solved my condition. I am thankful to a stranger named "Skip" for pointing out the causes of my
illness and, ultimately, the emf protection products we now sell for saving my
Symptoms of Electrical Hypersensitivity may include skin rash, sleep disorders,
muscle and joint pain (fibromyalgia), chronic fatigue, depression, headaches,
dizziness, nausea, difficulty concentrating, memory loss, irritability,
anxiety, weakness, muscle spasms, numbness, tingling, leg and foot pain,
"flu-like" symptoms and fever.
Exposure to electromagnetic fields is not a new phenomenon. However, during the
20th century, environmental exposure to man-made electromagnetic fields has
been steadily increasing as growing electricity demand, ever-advancing
technologies and changes in social behaviour have created more and more
artificial sources. Everyone is exposed to a complex mix of weak electric and
magnetic fields, both at home and at work, from the generation and transmission
of electricity, domestic appliances and industrial equipment, to
telecommunications and broadcasting.
Tiny electrical currents exist in the human body due to the chemical reactions
that occur as part of the normal bodily functions, even in the absence of
external electric fields. For example, nerves relay signals by transmitting
electric impulses. Most biochemical reactions from digestion to brain
activities go along with the rearrangement of charged particles. Even the heart
is electrically active - an activity that your doctor can trace with the help
of an electrocardiogram.
Low-frequency electric fields influence the human body just as they influence
any other material made up of charged particles. When electric fields act on
conductive materials, they influence the distribution of electric charges at
their surface. They cause current to flow through the body to the ground. Low-frequency magnetic fields induce circulating currents within the human body.
The strength of these currents depends on the intensity of the outside magnetic
field. If sufficiently large, these currents could cause stimulation of nerves
and muscles or affect other biological processes.
Both electric and magnetic fields induce voltages and currents in the body but
even directly beneath a high voltage transmission line, the induced currents
are very small compared to thresholds for producing shock and other electrical
Experts now believe there is a strong correlation between the increased exposure
to electrical contaminates in the home and the dramatic increase in a
phenomenon originally known as “Radio Wave Sickness” now classified as "Electrical Hypersensitivity" and also known by other names
such as Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and electro-impairment.
Today, more and more people are experiencing symptoms of EHS and other more
serous ailments as a result of the increased daily exposure to Dirty
Electricity and EMFs from other sources like cellular and wireless devices.
Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS) is a "growing worldwide health concern"
according to a December 2005 press release issued by the World Health
Organization. EHS can be difficult to understand and even more difficult to
diagnose. Many doctors and other health professionals here in North America are
not yet aware of the recent scientific evidence surrounding electromagnetic
energy (EMF) and its effects on human health.
The body of empirical evidence confirming that the EMF exposure causes health
problems and damages human cells is very strong. Children are more at risk then
adults and many children are now showing signs of EHS. People can react
adversely to many types of electromagnetic energy, many improve when they are
in an electro-magnetically clean environment. Long-term exposure to electrical
contaminates are known to have many adverse heath effects – some permanent.